Who Uses Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Complementary and Alternative Medicine Definition
CAM is an acronym for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. From National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), CAM is defines as a group of diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not generally considered part of conventional medicine. Conventional medicine which is also known as Western medicine is medicine practiced by registered MD or doctors of medicine and allied health practitioners like physical therapists, psychologists and others. Some examples of CAM applications are acupunctures, yoga, herbal medicines and other forms of massage like reflexology and other muscles and nerves massage.
Describe the Patient Who Uses CAM the Most
In the research conducted by Dr. David Eisenberg, MD in 1993 shows that 33% of Americans of the respondents in his study practiced CAM. Another finding is that the highest use of complementary and alternative medicine was reported by people between 25 to 49 years of age who had relatively more education and higher incomes. The majority used unconventional therapy for chronic, as opposed to life-threatening, medical conditions. Another interesting finding of the study is that CAM is used by 83% of respondents as a treatment being treated by a doctor. A continuing study conducted by the same person on 2002 using 31,044 respondents, found out that factors associated with highest rates of CAM use were ages 40-64, female gender, non-black/non-Hispanic race, and annual income of $65,000 or higher. In Asia, particularly Singapore of which a multiracial study was conducted in 2005 by M.K. Lim, et al , it was found that 84% of Chinese, 69% of Indian, and 95% of Malays. Traditional Chinese medicine was the most widely used form of CAM.
List Some Common Misconceptions about CAM
In as much as CAM is not highly empirical in terms of study using the western standards the following are the most common misconceptions:
- It is unscientific. Though we always say that western medicine or orthodoxy medicines involved empirical evidence, it was shown that 84% of being practiced using this mode of administration does not undergo rigorous testing. Undoubtedly, CAM is in a shaky foundation but this is back up by hundred of years of practice of which except that no proper documentation was done.
- CAM is not effective. This misconception is due to the facts that most results are undocumented. CAM is mostly used with conventional medicines that its effects are not given importance.
- The 'philosophies of CAM are so obviously wrong that scientific testing would be a waste of time. This misconception is because the theoretical foundation of CAM is not according to the theoretical model followed by western medicine. The hypothetico-deductive model is not generally practice for rigorous testing, nevertheless, the different approach of expansion in learning is not necessarily wrong.
- CAM is used only by a small minority. This misconception is stereotyping the groups that generally practice it. It is to be noted that acupuncturists in China is so many that it is considered a very effective mode of curing and prevention of some common diseases. In the previous discussions, we had seen that so many patients are practicing it in tandem with conventional medicines.
- Identify some methods of including the use of CAM in patient education.
CAM Methods and Practices Involved Different Forms
These are the following:
- Biologically based method – this method involved the use of herbal medicines and supplements for the dietary deficiency and for additional nutrients in the body.
- Manipulative and body-based therapies – massage and chiropractic activities in which muscles, bones and other structural parts of the body are involved here with kneading and rubbing are done.
- Mind-body interventions – CAM involved healing not only of the body but also of the spirit. Yoga, meditations and biofeedback are only some of its most common examples.
- Discuss the safe use of CAM
CAM is not a panacea. When done improperly, it may also have debilitating effect on the patients.
Recommendations When Using CAM
- Be careful in selecting CAM practitioners. A background investigation must be done before a patient select a particular CAM Practitioner.
- Some dietary supplements may have adverse effects on the body. It must be taken with caution and small dosages first in order that the body can adjust. Pregnant mothers, nursing mothers and children should exhibit extra caution.
- An open discussion with the health providers must be done when the patient is using CAM. Doctors must know what is being administered while he is treating the patient
Give a List of Ways Conventional Medicine and CAM can be Integrated
The following are some of the ways in which conventional medicine and CAM can be integrated:
- A clear verification that there was no contraindications to the use of CAM therapies, or need for further evaluation or treatment by conventional methods.
- Fostering of open communication between the patients, the doctors and the CAM practitioners in creating an environment in which patients can feel comforts and openness in accepting the two mode of treatments.
- Discussions of patients’ preferences and expectations to clarify the reasons patients seek CAM, and provide clues for improving the integration of CAM into their conventional health care.
- When two treatments will complement each other like when treatment involved cure while the other is pain management then the two modes can be integrated.
- Define ethical theories, ethical principles, and values.
Ethical theories refer to the body of accepted tenets of which individuals in society must follow. It is a set of dogma accepted anchored on what is deemed and perceived to be right and correct in the way of living or manner of application in a particular profession or vocation. Ethical principles are guiding generalizations of which good moral conduct is defined when it is being followed. Ethical values are sets of things or principles which we held precious and given importance when making decisions.
- Give examples of some ethical issues in patient education and compliance, and describe a proper and a poor health professional/patient relationship.
Some examples of ethical issues in patient education and compliance are the following:
- The patience sometimes exhibits some degrees of autonomy of which decisions are rendered solely by him. However, some decisions and the corresponding actions he made are contra indicatory of the treatment given to him.
- Sometimes treatment involved lots of discomforts and pains on the part of the patients that patients adversely hate the treatment itself.
- Patients do not accept the gravity of the illness he has that treatment is not totally complied with.
- Receiving gifts from patients that are under treatment. This may come in many form. However, the gestures whether given with gratitude may later cloud the decisions of the health practitioners.
- Difference in health beliefs. Some patients have different health beliefs contrary to the intended treatment. This will create an ethical issue of whether the treatment shall be administered or not.
Some examples of poor health professional/patient relationship:
- The health professional action involved condescension that the patient is treated with inferior attitudes.
- One party or both act outside the boundary of therapeutic relationships .This boundary violation is a sign that the parties have poor health relationships.
- Explain what is meant by ethical patient education practices
Ethical patient education practices refer to proper ways in which patients through his own volition and proper information made decisions regarding compliance, concordance and acceptance of the preferred treatment. It is a way in which the patients are convinced that after discussions with the health practitioners as guided by values of openness, honesty and acceptance the patients choose the treatments offered to him.
- Free plagiarism report (on request)
- Free revision (within 2 days)
- Free title page
- Free bibliography
- Free outline (on request)
- Free email delivery
- Free formatting
- Quality research and writing
- BA, MA and PhD degree writers
- 100% confidentiality
- No hidden charges
- Never resold works
- 100% authenticity
- 24/7/365 Customer Support
- 12pt. Times New Roman
- Double-spaced/Single-spaced papers
- 1inch margins
- Any citation style
- Fully referenced papers
- Up-to-date sources
Explain the Purpose of Informed Consent
Informed consent is a process between the provider and patient that relates to a specific medication or form of treatment and not just controlled substances (Bolen, 2008).
The following are its purposes:
- The goals of treatment are properly articulated.
- Potential benefits and realistic outcomes are discussed with the patients.
- The risks involved are known by the patients.
- Alternative treatment options are considered before the treatment,
- Discuss what factors determine the patient's ability to give informed consent.
- Age - the patients must be legal age capable of making decisions.
- Not mentally incapacitated – the patients are not mentally ill and of clear mind. The patients is capable of making decisions based on his knowledge and capacity to understand the treatment and has the capacity to ask other opinions from other persons.
- When the patients have the available information possible needed to make decisions for the choosing of the treatments. Patients can weigh the different options that can cure his illness and may choose different alternatives available.
- Make a sample informed consent form to review in class.
This consent form is given to you for the purpose of making your decisions regarding the recommended treatment I am proposing.
- Worst Vacation
- Request for Proposal
- Determining Career Aspirations and Goals
- Recommendation Letter
- Slavery in the French Caribbean
Big thanks to your writing team for coming through for me with my last order. I didn’t give them a lot of notice, but they were able to come up with a superb paper for me. This is the kind of service that I love. Sometimes, I get forgetful, and I forget when my paper due dates are. It is so comforting to know that I can be in a rush and contact Essays-Writer.net and that you will deliver a great paper for me, no matter what. The fact that you include an anti-plagiarism report is great, too. I appreciate knowing that my work is totally original. Essays-Writer.net rocks!
Your writers are masters at time management. I turned in an order for four very difficult papers, and they were all written perfectly, even with the short deadline notice. Thanks, Essays-Writer.net!
Your writing company delivers for me every time. I have never been disappointed.
I was happy with the two essays that your writers did for me. Even though the subject matter was quite dense, they managed to come up with high quality work. This has been my experience with Essays-Writer.net, over the long haul. Each and every time I have needed a high quality paper, you have come through with outstanding writing examples for me. I am pleased to recommend your writing service to my friends and colleagues.
The work I received from your writers was much better than expected, especially considering the affordability of your services! This is so impressive! I wasn’t aware, previously, that companies like Essays-Writer.net even existed, but then again, I’m pretty sure you are the only one that is this good. I have heard a lot of bad things about other writing companies, but never a negative word about Essays-Writer.net. You are reputed as being the best, and I, for one, am convinced that this is true.Thank you for the outstanding job you did on my essay and research papers.
Thank you for the great paper! My professor gave me a high mark for it.
As always, your writers have completed another impressive paper. This time, the subject matter required a lot of research. They not only completed the research. They also documented it absolutely perfectly. It would have taken me months to write a paper this thorough and of this high quality. Thank you so much for your diligence. It was greatly appreciated.
I find your writing service to be staffed with serious professionals who understand the urgency of turning out great writing for your customers. I have ordered papers from you for a year and a half now, and each time, I have been given superb papers that were error free and interesting to read. I truly appreciate your efforts, and hope to continue to do business with you from this point forward. You deserve my loyalty, because you are certainly loyal to your customers! Wishing you all the best.
Once again, I have sat down at my computer, because I feel I owe you big thanks. There is just no way to express how grateful I am for everything you did to make my research paper as good as it was. My professor gave me an A+ on it, which is the first A+ I have received during my entire college career.
Now I know where to go when I need an excellent paper written on a short notice. I am very happy with the paper your writers just produced for me. It was absolutely perfect. Please thank the ones who handled my order and let them know that I will definitely do business with Essays-Writer.net again.
Dear Writers #0019, Thank you for taking such a good care of me. I apologize for being as picky as I was, but I was only reflecting the professor’s requirements. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I got my grades back. He gave me an A+ on the paper, which is almost unheard. The paper you produced for me included each and every thing that the professor had required. He is notorious for giving us next-to-impossible tasks to perform in his class, but you managed to pull it off. I don’t know if any other student has received an A+ in this guy’s class, but he simply could not find a single thing wrong with my paper! Yay! Thanks so much.
My professor told me that the essay you wrote for me was the best one in the whole class! Thanks for doing such a good job. Compliments from this professor are rare!
Dear Essays-Writer.net, You handled my rush order beautifully. I am still amazed by the quality of the term paper, because your writers didn’t have a whole lot of time to write it. Still, they did a great job and I’m happy that I chose Essays-Writer.net. Thank you for taking care of this in such an eloquent way.
Dear Madam or Sir, Thank you for your competence and high standards. My paper was wonderful! I shall recommend your writing services highly. You are far and above better than other writing services that I have used. Your professionalism, attention to detail, high quality writing and great prices are a few of the reasons why I will never use any other writing service. Thanks again.
I am getting ready to graduate in another week, but had to take a minute to jot this line because I want you to know what a help your writing service has been to me, especially during my junior and senior years. The work has been hard, and I have had to study virtually all the time. With you helping me out with my more challenging writing projects, I have been able to move forward and do well on my tests and other school projects. I will be forever grateful to you for your help, and I wish you continued success with your fantastic writing service. All the best!