Support Live Chat
The assignment to write an article review can puzzle even a seasoned journalist so the question “What is an article review?” is pretty justified. For those who are newbies in this sphere, the terms “article summary” and “article critique” might seem to be interchangeable. After being assigned to one of these tasks, make sure to ask your supervisor, instructor, or whoever has given you this “pleasure” to clarify what exactly they would like to see. All of these tasks require repeated reading and writing up notes as in most cases these articles are difficult for comprehension and contain unfamiliar words, terms, and phrases.
So what is an article review essay? According to the definition, it is an essay where you sum up and evaluate other person’s piece of writing. It presumes a critical analysis of the central theme, exploring the supporting evidence, and suggestions for further research. Accuracy is of the utmost importance for making a summary and evaluation.
Bear in mind that a review can be of two types: critical and literature. A critical review inclines to deal with a piece of writing and present an in-depth article analysis. As for a literature review, it is a part of a broader analysis. How to write a review paper is explicitly explained in the guidelines where the structure and format are described.
It does not matter whether it is an APA article review, academic article review, scientific review paper, or journal article review as all of them are the same in terms of their essence. The focal point is that it helps to detect and correct ambiguous terms and clarify questioning. What is more, the standpoints of others on the raised problems help to leave out the subjective opinion and the writer is encouraged to perform better. Last but not least, such a review comes to your aid to hone your writing skills and to facilitate critical thinking.
Article Review Format
How to apply the article review format:
- Title page
- Abstract (around 200-300 words) covers the summary of the review question, review and findings of the primary study.
- Introduction should include an identification sentence. Moreover, it somehow resembles an article review template as it covers a step-by-step outline of the article, its subtopics and the order of presenting the background information.
- Body presents the subtopics themselves.
- Conclusion covers the grounds and the purpose of your review.
- Literature cited is presented in the MLA format.
Article Review Purpose
The purpose of an article review is to summarize the content, critically evaluate the problem, and offer own insight into the problem. For doing this, it is not enough to have perfect writing skills; you should also have the in-depth knowledge of the professional field to which the article belongs. The meaning of such type of writing lies in assessing the other people’s perspectives on the discussed issues that is why the validity of data and the accuracy of its comprehension could hardly be underestimated.
Article Review Structure
Students are free to approach the article review structure the way they want. Nonetheless, there are some tips and tricks, which will ease the writing process and will help to obtain better results.
- A hook is your lifeboat. A riveting sentence can be an anecdote, fascinating facts, shocking statistics, unparalleled life story, quotations from literature or life, article extract, or whatever.
- An outstanding article abstract.
- An attention-grabbing introductory paragraph and a strong thesis.
- Ensure the coherence of the writing with the use of transitional words.
- Insert direct in-text citations to support your arguments.
- Feel free to use indirect citations to present reliable statistics, salient facts, and any other information that does not need to be proved.
- Make an objective assessment of the article, paying undivided attention to disparities, contradictions, and questions left with no answer. Criticize to the fullest yet make sure to justify your standpoint.
Do not forget to discuss each argument in the separate paragraph. The world is your oyster so do not be afraid to devise an article review.